First Things First
Please note that
offers a variety of courses for our international partners. Make sure that you know which
course you are scheduled to attend and then make sure that the correct course is indicated on your Invitational Travel Orders (ITO). We must put you in the course indicated on your ITO. If you want to move from one course to another after you arrive at
, we must first ask your country's Security Cooperation Office (SCO) to provide us with an amendment to your ITO. This requires the SCO to coordinate with your government and can take a long time. Even though some of our courses run concurrently, we may not move you from one classroom to another without an ITO amendment. It is best to make sure your ITO is correct before you depart for
The following courses comprise our international curriculum:
- International Partner Security Cooperation Finance and Logistics (3 weeks, MASL D178271) starts on Monday and runs for three weeks, ending at noon of the Friday of the third week. We ask that students not schedule departure flights prior to 1600 hrs on that day.
- International Partner Security Cooperation Finance and Training Management (3 weeks, MASL D178270) starts on Monday and runs for three weeks, ending at noon of the Friday of the third week. We ask that students not schedule departure flights prior to 1600 hrs on that day.
Once You Get Here
- If you are traveling to DSCU West by air, you will arrive at the Dayton International Airport. Please try to arrive prior to 2200 hrs on the day immediately preceding the start date of your course..
- There is a commercial taxi stand just outside the front of the terminal. Fares to WPAFB range from $50 to $80.
If you arrive by car or take a taxi or rental car from the airport, enter WPAFB through Gate 12A off of State Route 444 to get to the VOQ. The main desk is in Building 825 on Schlatter Drive.
Directly below is a map showing Areas A and C and routes to/from WPAF and the Dayton International Airport.
- To get on WPAFB, you will need your passport and a copy of your ITO. Show the WPAFB gate guards your ITO and they should allow you temporary base access to get to the VOQ. You will be taken to Pass and Registration on the first day of class to obtain a blue base access pass.
- You will not need a separate vehicle pass if you are driving a car.
- DSCU West
will arrange for your lodging, normally at the VOQ. Unless you advise us of an earlier arrival date, we will make your reservations starting the day prior to your class start date.
Reservations for rooms earlier than the day prior to the class start date are on a space-available basis only.
- Current VOQ rates are $90.00 per night.
- When we make your reservations, we will tell the VOQ your expected arrival time. If during your trip it appears that you will arrive later than originally planned, please inform the VOQ by phone at (937) 257-5442 so that they will
know to hold your room or to change your reservation. Please also inform the Registrar.
Note that the VOQ will not hold your room past 1700 hours of the day prior to your class start date unless you notify them or
of your late arrival.
- We recommend that you not bring family members, other dependents, or guests. The VOQ will not provide billeting for them. Moreover,
is not authorized to issue them a base pass.
- If you decide to stay in quarters other than those arranged for by
, whether because you are accompanied by a family member or for other reasons, you must make your own arrangements, including transportation from the airport. Furthermore,
will not provide you with a statement of non-availability for quarters if rooms are available for students at the VOQ.
- If you have a physical disability, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can make the necessary arrangements to ensure that you have a comfortable stay while you are here.
- DSCU West
provides free bus service between student quarters and the schoolhouse. If you choose to stay elsewhere, you must provide your own transportation to and from class
- DSCU West
also provides a free shuttle service between student quarters and local eating establishments in the evenings and on weekends
- Your official travel expenses, per diem, lodging, and any other costs associated with your attendance at
are the responsibility of your government.
- You MUST arrive with sufficient funds to cover your billeting, meals, and other expenses while you are here at
- If you attend
on International Military Education and Training (IMET) funds, and your government chooses to use IMET to pay for your lodging, we will take you to the WPAFB Finance Office to draw these funds on the day before graduation.
- VISA and MasterCard credit cards are widely accepted around Dayton and WPAFB, including the VOQ.
- There are also numerous ATMs around Dayton and WPAFB
Food and Drink
- DSCU West
provides a free shuttle service to take you to local restaurants in the evenings and on weekends.
- There are limited options for meals around the VOQ or around
. However, your VOQ room will have a microwave oven, a refrigerator, and other amenities, so you will have some capability to cook in your room.
students find it most convenient to bring lunch to
during the school week.
’s student lounge has a galley with a refrigerator, a freezer, several coffee stations with hot water dispensers, and several microwave ovens.
- The shuttle service
provides can take you to the WPAFB commissary or to supermarkets off-base to buy food.
- You may want to bring cooking and eating utensils from home, though most students find it more convenient to buy disposable utensils after they arrive.
- DSCU West
provides a "coffee mess" that you can join for $7.00 per week for unlimited coffee, or you can pay 50 cents per cup. We also provide tea bags for 50 cents each and bottled water for $1.00 each. A vending machine in the student lounge dispenses soft drinks.
- DSCU West
enforces a "covered mug" policy, that is, we do not allow open-top beverage cups anywhere in
spaces, especially classrooms. We will issue you a souvenir
mug at no cost. We do permit bottles and soda cans.
Conduct of the Course
- Your first day of class will start at 0800 hrs
- Busses will leave the VOQ at approximately 0700 and 0730. The welcome packet that your
greeter will provide, or that will be waiting for you at the VOQ, will include a detailed bus schedule
- Note that DSCU West is on Area B of WPAFB, which is not contiguous to Areas A where the VOQ is located. That means that you will have to go off-base and then back on-base to get to
. Make sure you carry your base pass.
- Click on the course links in the paragraph above on "First Things First" to see a detailed discussion of your course, including a day-by-day description of the syllabus.
- Graduation for all courses will be at 1200 hrs on the last Friday of the course. Due to airport security requirements, please do not schedule your departure flight until after 1600 hrs that day.
- DSCU West
normally will not authorize early departures except for bona fide emergencies.
- We look forward to seeing you here at
in the near future. Have a safe and comfortable journey.